Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have a negative effect on health. People are generally considered obese when their body mass index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person’s weight by the square of the person’s height, is over 30 kg/m2, with the range 25–30 kg/m2 defined as overweight. Obesity means having too much body fat. It is different from being overweight, which means weighing too much. The weight may come from muscle, bone, fat, and/or body water. Both terms mean that a person’s weight is greater than what’s considered healthy for his or her height.
- Obesity occurs over time when you eat more calories than you use. The balance between calories-in and calories-out differs for each person. Factors that might affect your weight include your genetic makeup, overeating, eating high-fat foods, and not being physically active.
- Being obese increases your risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, and cancer. If you are obese, losing even 5 to 10 percent of your weight can delay or prevent some of these diseases.
- Obesity is mostly preventable through a combination of social changes and personal choices.Changes to diet and exercising are the main treatments. Diet quality can be improved by reducing the consumption of energy-dense foods, such as those high in fat and sugars, and by increasing the intake of dietary fiber. Medications may be taken, along with a suitable diet, to reduce appetite or decrease fat absorption.
In our hospital, we have productive weight loss therapies which include yoga, meditation, nutritional counseling, diet plans as well.
Weight loss therapy mainly includes:
- Udwarthana/ powder massage: Udwarthanam is special therapeutic deep tissue massage using herbal powders/paste for complete detoxification, improving blood circulation, cellulite breakdown, reducing weight and eliminating obesity. It’s the best way to lose weight without effort or fatigue and without internal medications
- Swedana : Induction of sweating for a therapeutic purpose is referred by the name of swedana in Ayurveda This may be used either for promotion of health or for curing the illness by procedure that alleviates the stiffness of the body, relieves sense of heaviness, toxic/unwanted waste in the form of sweat/perspiration is called Swedana.
- Virechana: medically inducing purgation therapy in order to cleanse the body toxins through lower pathways.